Tim is a Corporate, M&A and Securities partner. Tim has advised a number of leading companies in major M&A transactions in Europe and the Asia Pacific region (including Macquarie Group, China Molybdenum, Medibank Private, South32, Challenger, Brambles, BG Group, Telstra, Alinta Energy, Glencore / Xstrata, ASX, Stockland and Westpac).
Tim is one of Australia’s pre-eminent corporate advisors, having acted on numerous high-profile transactions – guiding both boards and senior executives through critical transformation periods in their businesses. His clients appreciate his pragmatic and straightforward approach, combined with his unrivalled expertise navigating complex regulatory landscapes.
Tim has been named as an “Eminent Practitioner” in Corporate / M&A by Chambers Global Guide, after being recommended by Chambers as a Leading Individual, Band 1, for many years. Chambers Global Guide described Tim as "unshakable under pressure, sought out for his counsel on complicated and time-sensitive transactions". He is also recommended as a "leading individual" by Asia Pacific Legal 500.
Tim was the Chairman of the Australian partnership of King & Wood Mallesons from January 2010 to December 2012, during which time the combination between King & Wood and Mallesons Stephen Jaques was negotiated and implemented. He was also Managing Partner of M&A and Tax for King & Wood Mallesons Australia from 2013 to 2014. He moved to the KWM London office in 2015, where he held the role of Division Head, Corporate, Finance and Funds, and then Managing Partner of KWM EUME.
In 2017, Tim returned to the KWM Sydney office as a Partner in the Mergers & Acquisition Group.
"Unshakable under pressure, sought out for his counsel on complicated and time-sensitive transactions".
Show moreShow less
Equity Capital Markets
- Macquarie Bank – Advised Macquarie Bank on an equity financing of its UK merchant power business – 2015
- Medibank – Advised Medibank Private on its IPO - 2014
Mergers & Acquisitions/Joint Ventures/Scheme of Arrangement/Trade Sales
- Commonwealth Government - Advising the Commonwealth Government on the acquisition of State interests in Snowy Hydro Ltd – 2017
- BG Group – Advised BG Group on Asia-Pacific regulatory clearances relating to Royal Dutch Shell's acquisition of BG by scheme of arrangement – 2015
- South – Advised South 32 on its $15bn demerger from BHP in 2015
- BG Group and QGC – Advised BG Group and QGC on the $6bn sale of its Queensland natural gas pipeline – 2014
- Brambles – Advised Brambles Limited on the demerger and listing of its Recall business – 2013
- Alinta – refinancing and recapitalisation – 2011
- BG Group – Advised BG Group on its $5.6bn on-market takeover of QGC – 2008. This remains by far the largest Australian on-market takeover.
- ASX – Advised ASX on its merger with Sydney Futures Exchange – 2006
- South Australian Government on the disaggregation and privatisation of its electricity supply industry from 1998 – 2000
Corporate Governance & Corporate Advisory
- Westpac – Corporate Advisory, especially in relation to regulatory and executive employment matters.
- Telstra – Advised Telstra on disclosure, shareholder and regulatory approvals for arrangements with NBN - 2012
- ASX Listed clients – Advising on executive employment arrangements for numerous CEOs and senior executives
Cross Border Experience
- China Molybdenum – Advised on the acquisition of Anglo American’s niobium and phosphates businesses in Brazil for US$1.5 billion – 2016
- AA Plc – Advised the UK’s largest breakdown cover organisation, in connection with the establishment of a roadside assistance joint venture with TVS Automobile Solutions Limited in India – 2015
- Australian Corporates – Advised Australian corporates on numerous acquisition projects in the United Kingdom, Europe, the United States and Asia.
- Member of the Corporations Committee of the Business Law Section of the Law Council of Australia
- Not-for-Profits: Member of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation advisory board.