Stuart Fuller is a partner in the banking & finance team at King & Wood Mallesons where he specialises in:
- domestic and global capital markets, securitisation and structured finance;
- financial markets and systems regulation and transformation, combining both Australian and global developments and their impact on the newly emerging business models for financial institutions; and
- global investment and trade policy and developments.
Prior to his return to practice in 2017, Stuart was the Global Managing Partner of the firm for five years, based in Hong Kong. In this leadership role he was responsible for the strategy, client and practice development and integration of the global firm across its 31 offices.
He has significant experience in the management of a global business, gaining unique insights from leading and managing an integrated Western and Asian business on a global scale, including the successful functional and financial integration of the Hong Kong office of the global firm.
Stuart is regarded as a thought leader on the global legal market and global financial markets. His experience also brings a perspective on the role of Australia and Australian business in Asia, and what will be required in the future for successful business relationships, including foreign investment and trade, between Australia and Asia.
In 2014 Stuart was named by the Financial Times as one of Asia’s Top 10 Innovative Lawyers in its inaugural FT Asia Innovative Lawyer report in recognition of his bold vision and his role in driving a strategy which connects Asia-Pacific economies to each other and to the rest of the world.
Prior to his leadership roles at the firm, Stuart was one of the leading securitisation and structured finance lawyers in the region. His clients included originators, issuers, arrangers, underwriters, trustees and rating agencies.
He is a past Chairman of the Australian Securitisation Forum, a member of the Global Engagement Task Force of the Business Council of Australia (and a key participant in its regular China-Australia CEO Round Tables), a member of the Advisory Board of the Asia Society and a member of the Chairman’s Council of the Australia-China Relations Institute.
- 1990 - 1997: Solicitor, Mallesons Stephen Jaques
- 1997 - Present: Partner, King & Wood Mallesons
- 2004 - 2006: Practice Team Leader, Banking & Finance - Australia
- 2006 - 2011: Managing Partner, King & Wood Mallesons - Australia
- 2012 - 2014: Chief Executive, King & Wood Mallesons (Hong Kong)
- 2012 - 2016: Global Managing Partner, King & Wood Mallesons.