Stephen Jaggers is Partner in Charge of the Canberra office of King & Wood Mallesons and leader of the firm's Government sector practice in Australia.
Stephen specialises in commercial and regulatory law primarily in the government and financial services sectors. Stephen's work in the government sector includes strategic advice on procurement, significant funding programs, asset sales and corporate governance. His financial services practice focuses on investment platforms, investment funds and public sector superannuation.
Stephen was the lead partner on the feasibility study and subsequent sale of TIO by the Northern Territory Government in 2014. He has also advised a number of GBEs on legislative and corporate governance matters including the Clean Energy Finance Corporation and the Australian Rail Track Corporation. In the funds management area, Stephen has been a strategic adviser to BT Financial Group on its significant platforms business for over 15 years, and adviser to the trustee of the Commonwealth Government's superannuation schemes for over 12 years.
Stephen has been listed in Best Lawyers since 2010 and is currently listed in nine categories including commercial law, corporate law, government practice, funds management and regulatory practice.
Show moreShow less
- Territory Insurance Office/NT Government: on the sale of its insurance and banking businesses and the outsourcing of the management of the statutory motor accidents compensation scheme
- Department of Finance: on a range of Whole-of-Government procurement initiatives, including drafting the general contract suite for Whole of Australian Government procurement of goods and services under $200,000; scoping study into Royal Australian Mint; the procurement of accounting services for Whole-of-Government under a panel arrangement.
- Department of Human Services: the procurement of strategic systems integration services for the replacement of the child support system and associated projects
- Department of Resources Energy & Tourism - Australian Energy Market Operator Limited: preparing the constitution for the new national energy market operator for both electricity and gas, as part of a major reform to the electricity and gas markets in Australia
- Department of Climate Change: strategic advice on the corporate governance aspects during the establishment of the Australian Carbon Trust and preparing the constitution and board charters for the Australian Carbon Trust.
- BT Financial Group: adviser to BT's significant platforms business for last 15 years including on FoFA regulatory issues and all significant product developments including BT Capital Protection Fund and BT Panorama
- JBWere: on establishment of new multi asset platform and client migration project following acquisition by NAB.
- Commonwealth Superannuation Corporation: on fund structure, establishment of accumulation plan, merger with Military Super, investments, appointment of investment managers and regulatory compliance.
- 2011-present: Partner in Charge, Mallesons and King & Wood Mallesons, Canberra
- 2008-2011: Partner, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, Canberra
- 1992-2007: Solicitor, Senior Associate, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, Canberra
- 1992: Bachelor of Laws (Hons), Australian National University
- 1991: Bachelor of Science, Australian National University.