Rhys Casey is a partner in the Corporate M&A team in the Brisbane office of King & Wood Mallesons.
Rhys is a transactional and corporate advisory lawyer specialising in corporate and commercial law with an emphasis on public and private company mergers and acquisitions and capital raisings.
Rhys has experience in public company takeovers and schemes, private treaty M&A and private equity, joint ventures, reconstructions (including buy-backs) and capital raisings (including IPOs and secondary raisings for both companies and funds). Rhys also regularly provides general corporate advisory support to clients, with a particular emphasis on corporate law, governance, directors’ duties, securities law and listing rule matters.
Rhys has experience across a range of industry sectors including banking and financial services, energy, resources and projects, major infrastructure, food and agribusiness and consumer and retail.
M&A and Private Equity
- Super Retail Group – establishment of the ‘AutoCrew – Powered by Supercheap Auto’ joint venture with Bosch to create independent full service auto workshops in Australia
- Auswide Bank – demutualisation and acquisition via a cash and scrip scheme of arrangement of Queensland Professional Credit Union (the first merger between a listed bank and a mutual ADI in over a decade in Australia) and separate acquisition of an increased equity stake in peer-to-peer lender MoneyPlace
- Suncorp Insurance Ventures – acquisition of 49% interest in ACM Parts Pty Ltd from US-based LKQ Corporation
- Horizon Oil – recapitalisation via a US$50 million mezzanine debt finance package and associated option issuance
- WestSide Corporation Limited – hostile off-market takeover bid for Armour Energy Limited
- Casinos Austria – sale of Casino Canberra Limited (the licensee of the Canberra Casino) to Aquis
- Brisbane Airtrain – acquisition by USS by way of three interconditional schemes of arrangement
- Horizon Oil – proposed merger of equals by way of scheme of arrangement with Roc Oil
- Casinos Austria and Accor – as the largest institutional unitholders in connection with the off-market takeover by Aquis for the Reef Casino Trust
- QIC Global Private Equity – separate private equity investments into Water Utilities Australia and Ostwald Construction Materials
- Acer Energy – off-market takeover by Drillsearch
- Super Retail Group – acquisition of Rebel Group (owner of Rebel Sport and A-Mart All Sports) from Archer Capital
- MSF Sugar – off-market takeover by Mitr Phol Sugar Corp; establishment of the Northern Milling Joint Venture with Bundaberg Sugar and subsequent acquisition of Bundaberg Sugar’s northern milling assets
- Oaks Hotels & Resorts – off-market takeover by Minor International
- Dart Energy – off-market takeover bid for Apollo Gas
- RACQ – acquisition of Suncorp Group’s 50% shareholding in RACQ Insurance
- BHP Billiton Mitsubishi Alliance – acquisition of the New Saraji Coal Project from New Hope Corporation
- Arrow Energy Limited – proposed off-market takeover bid for Pure Energy Resources Limited.
Equity Capital Markets
- Auswide Bank – underwritten dividend reinvestment plan
- GARDA Diversified Property Fund – IPO and ASX listing of units
- National Storage REIT – IPO and ASX listing of stapled securities and subsequent underwritten institutional placements and security purchase plan
- AACo – $220 million underwritten non-renounceable pro-rata entitlement offer and associated $80 million convertible note issue
- Horizon Oil – underwritten accelerated non-renounceable pro-rata entitlement offer and SGX listed convertible bond issue
- Aurizon – $1 billion selective share buy-back to facilitate the post-IPO sell-down by the Queensland Government
- Super Retail Group – $334 million accelerated renounceable (PAITREO) entitlement offer
- Aurizon (previously QR National) – IPO and ASX listing to facilitate the privatisation by the Queensland Government
- Dart Energy – $100 million underwritten accelerated non-renounceable (JUMBO) rights issue
- Virgin Group – advising on Virgin Group’s institutional participation in connection with Virgin Australia’s capital raising
- Institutional placements and share purchase plans for AACo, Auswide Bank, Super Retail, Horizon Oil and MSF Sugar.