Michael is a leading expert in tax and is recognised as such by Chambers Global in 2006-2016 and by Best Lawyers in 2008-2016. In particular, Chambers Global has ranked Michael as one of Australia’s top five tax lawyers.
Michael has advised clients such as Chevron, Rio Tinto, Tabcorp, BHP Billiton, AMP, Dexus, Ford and the Commonwealth Superannuation Corporation on a wide range of commercial matters, including reorganisations, demergers and mergers and acquisitions.
A strength Michael brings to commercial matters is not only his extensive knowledge of tax, but also the ability to implement the advice he gives through his direct involvement in the drafting process of relevant documents.
Show moreShow less
- Advised Rio Tinto on a proposed iron ore merger with Chinalco and on a proposed $150b iron ore joint venture with BHP Billiton
- Advised a multi-national resources company on tax audits and disputes regarding transfer pricing, petroleum resource rent tax, GST and the application of the controlled foreign companies legislation
- Advised a multi-national company on its appearance before the 2015 Senate Economics References Committee inquiry into corporate tax avoidance
- Advised Tabcorp on the demerger of its casino business
- Advised National Australia Bank on the demerger and IPO of Clydesdale Bank
- Advised Rio Tinto on the privatisation of Coal & Allied.
- Bachelor of Commerce, The University of Melbourne
- Bachelor of Law (Honours), The University of Melbourne
- 1990-1998: Solicitor, Allens Linklaters
- 1998-2013: Partner, Allens Linklaters
- 2014 - present: Partner, King & Wood Mallesons.
- Australian Government Board of Taxation Advisory Panel.