Meredith Paynter is a Partner in the Sydney office of King & Wood Mallesons, and is the Sector Leader for the Industrials, Consumer, Agribusiness and Health sector practice.
Meredith specialises in private and public mergers and acquisitions, capital markets and private equity. She has advised leading Australian and international clients across the food and agribusiness, financial services, entertainment, health and industrials sectors, and regularly deals with financial intermediaries and investment banks. Meredith also regularly advises on governance, securities law and listing rule matters.
Meredith has been recognised in Chambers Asia-Pacific, the IFLR 1000 and PLC Which Lawyer? and the peer-reviewed ‘Best Lawyers’ survey. Meredith advised on the transaction named as the M&A Deal of the Year in the 2010 ALB Australasian Law Awards.
Meredith is co-author of the Directions Report, the annual corporate governance report on current issues and challengers facing Australian directors and boards, and is a regular speaker on agribusiness, corporate governance, mergers and acquisitions and capital markets issues.
Show moreShow less
Mergers and Acquisitions/Private Equity
- Acted for Lion since 1996 on a range of transactions including the sale of its Australian wine business, the sale of its everyday cheese business, its privatisation by Kirin by scheme of arrangement, its acquisition of Little World Beverages by scheme of arrangement, its takeover bids for Coca-Cola Amatil and Coopers Brewery Limited, its successful takeover bids for Petaluma Limited and Banksia Wines Limited, its acquisition of the Hua Xia brewery in China and sale of its China brewing assets, and its migration to Australia from New Zealand.
- Acted for Zurich since 2007 on a range of transactions including its acquisition of ANZ’s life insurance business, OnePath Life, the sale of its NSW CTP portfolio (in run-off) to the Enstar Group, its acquisition of Cover-More Group Limited by scheme of arrangement, its sale of Lonsec, its sale of Financial Lifestyle Solutions, the merger of DKN Financial Group Limited and Lonsdale Financial Group Limited, and its sale of Wrap Account Limited to DKN Financial Group Limited.
- Acted for Woolworths on its exit from its Home Improvement business, including the sale of Home Timber & Hardware to Metcash, the inventory liquidation and closure of the Masters business and the sale of Hydrox Holdings Pty Limited (the owner of freehold and leasehold property assets used in the Masters business) to the Home Consortium.
- Acted for nib since 2007 on a range of transactions including the acquisition of IMAN International (2010) and the acquisition of World Nomads Group (2015)
- Acted for Fuyuan and its shareholders including Mengniu Dairy, and its Chinese consortium on the acquisition of 79% of Burra Foods (2016)
- Acted for New Hope on its investment in the Australian Fresh Milk joint venture to acquire Moxey Farms (2015).
- Acted for Monde Nissin on a range of transactions including the acquisitions of the Black Swan business, the Nudie juice business and the Menora Foods business (2013 - 2016).
- Acted for Yieldbroker since 2000 on its formation and shareholder arrangements, its successful application for an Australian market licence (the first licence for a domestic market operator) and on the investment by ASX Limited to acquire a 49% interest in Yieldbroker.
- Acted for Ruralco on the acquisition of Total Eden Group and associated accelerated rights issue (2013 – 2014).
- Acted for Evercore on its strategic alliance with Luminis Partners (2014 - 2015).
- Acted for Australian Payments Clearance Association (2014) representing a group of 17 banks operating in Australia on structure and governance issues relating to Australia's New Payments Platform which is intended to facilitate near real-time clearing and settlement of electronic transactions.
- Acted for a bidder for the Westfarmers insurance business in Australia and New Zealand (2013).
- Acted for FlexiGroup since 2006 on a range of transactions including its IPO and listing on ASX and the acquisition of the Australian and New Zealand businesses of ThinkSmart Limited.
- Acted for Deutsche Australia on the sale of Deutsche Asset Management Australia Limited to Ironbark Asset Management (2013)
- Acted for a bidder for the Ingham's Poultry business in Australia and New Zealand (2012-2013)
- Acted for Cabcharge Australia Limited on its successful acquisition of Driver Group (2013) and its takeover bids for Arrow Taxi Services Limited and Newcastle Taxis Limited (2007)
- Acted for a multinational transport and logistics group on the acquisition of companies and businesses in Australia, New Zealand, China and Hong Kong (2012)
- Acted for Tishman Speyer Office Fund in relation to the sale of 100% of US REIT and its termination and windup (2012) and the hostile takeover bid by MIRELF III Australia AIV, LP (2009)
- Acted for Super Retail Group Ltd on the acquisition of Rebel Group Limited and the related equity capital raising (2011)
- Acted for Goldman Sachs, Group Inc. on the buyout of the remaining 55% in Goldman Sachs & Partners Australia.
- Acted for Fresh Start Bakeries on the acquisition of bakery businesses from HAVI Group (2011) and the acquisition of joint venture interests (2008)
- Acted for Intoll Group on the schemes of arrangement with Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (2010)
- Acted for JPMorgan on the acquisition of ANZ's custody business in Australia and New Zealand (2009)
- Acted for Morgan Stanley on Mitsubishi UFH Financial Group's investment in Morgan Stanley (2008)
- Acted for Lighthouse Partners LLC as Australian legal advisor on the sale of Lighthouse Partners to HFA Holdings Limited (2007)
- Acted for Svitzer A/S on its successful takeover bid for Adsteam Marine Limited (2006-2007)
- Acted for So Natural Foods Limited on the hostile on-market takeover bid by Arrovest Pty Limited (2006)
- Acted for CVC Asia Pacific/Amatek Holdings SA on the sale of the Amatek Group to the Fletcher Building Group (2004-5)
- Acted for CVC Asia Pacific on the leveraged buy-out of the Tech Pacific Group (2003)
- Acted for Neverfail Springwater Limited on the hostile takeover bid by Coca-Cola Amatil Limited (2003)
- Acted for Steadfast Group on their insurance broker roll-up acquisition strategy and their IPO and listing on ASX (2013).
- Acted for GDI Property Group on their establishment as a stapled group, acquisition of properties and the rollover of wholesale funds and their IPO and listing on ASX (2013).
- Advised issuers or lead managers/underwriters on various capital raisings (placements, entitlement offers and/or purchase plans) including raisings by Echo Entertainment Group, Super Retail Group, Transfield Services, Bradken, FlexiGroup, AWB, Asciano, Bluescope Steel, Aquarius Platinum, AGL Energy, Macquarie
- Advised on the retail offerings of ALPHA Notes (2005) and "ART" credit-linked notes (2004)
- Advised CVC Asia Pacific on the dual-track IPO/trade sale disposal of the Tech Pacific Group (2004) and the Laminex Group (2002).
Other Corporate Matters
- Acted for Echo Entertainment Group on the meeting requisition by Crown
- Acted on the transition of various wholesale trusts managed by AMP Asset Management Limited to the managed investment regime (1999).
- 1996: Solicitor, Mallesons Stephen Jaques
- 2000: Senior Associate, Mallesons Stephen Jaques
- 2000: Graduate Diploma in Applied Finance and Investment, Finsia
- 2005: Partner, Mallesons Stephen Jaques
- 2012: Partner, King & Wood Mallesons.
- Law Council of Australia - Corporations Committee
- Mergers and Acquistions Taskforce Member and Lecturer for "Mergers and Acquisitions", Graduate Diploma of Applied Finance and Investment, Kaplan
- Law Society of NSW
- Associate of Finsia.