Jonathan Grant is a Partner in King & Wood Mallesons' M&A and Capital Markets team. He specialises in:
- Capital raisings (equity, hybrid and retail debt)
- Public and privately negotiated M&A (including schemes of arrangement, takeovers, asset/share sales, competitive sales processes and joint ventures)
- Other corporate transactions (including capital reductions, buy-backs and share sale facilities).
He also regularly advises on general corporate, securities law and governance issues and has co-lectured a masters course in equity capital markets law at Monash University.
Jonathan is currently based in the Beijing office and will have a particular focus on international capital raisings by Chinese issuers and Australia-Sino M&A transactions.
Show moreShow less
- Estia Health $1 billion IPO (2014)
- Hopu Investments' cornerstone stake in Paladin Energy (acting for Chinese investment house, Hopu) (2014)
- Suncorp Group $360m public offering of CPS3 tier 1 hybrid securities (2014)
- AMP $325 million retail subordinated note offer to fund tier 2 capital within the AMP group (2013)
- Steadfast Group restructure, broker acquisitions and IPO (2013)
- Suncorp Group $700 million public offering of subordinated notes (the first post-Basel III Tier 2 regulatory capital by an Australian bank) (2013)
- Suncorp Group $500 million public offering of CPS2 tier 1 hybrid securities (2012)
- Brambles $450 million accelerated renounceable entitlement offer (PAITREO structure) (2012)
- Billabong $225 million accelerated non-renounceable entitlement offer (for the underwriters) (2012).
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Steadfast $105 million acqusition of Calliden Group Limited (by scheme of arrangement) and on-sale of Calliden's general insurance operations to Munich Re (2014)
- Transurban-led consortium $7.06 billion acquisition of Queensland Motorways (2014)
- Brambles $1.4 billion demerger and ASX listing of Recall (2013)
- Steadfast acquisitions of various insurance brokerage and underwriting businesses, including acquisitions of Protecsure (2013), Nautilus (2014) and Mecon (2014)
- Woolworths’ acquisition and then subsequent sale of Austral manufacturing assets (including Chinese subsidiary) (2012/2013)
- AMP $425 million sale of a 15% interest in the AMP Capital business to, and strategic alliance with, Mitsubishi UFJ Trust & Banking Corporation (2012).
- Woolworths unmarketable parcel share sale facility (2011)
- Woolworths $325 million on-market share buy-back (2010) and $700 million off-market share buy-back (2010)
- Employee/executive incentive plans for various clients.
- 2002: LLB (First Class Honours), University of Sydney
- 2006: LLM (First Class Honours), University of Cambridge.