Ian Paterson is a partner in the Melbourne office of King & Wood Mallesons. He specialises in Banking and Finance, with an emphasis on structured financing, structured capital markets, derivatives, financial sector regulatory issues and payment systems.
He has acted on debt and hybrid capital markets issues in both domestic and international markets for banks, insurers and Australian and foreign corporations and authorities.
Ian has been recognised as a leading Capital Markets lawyer by many legal directories, including by Chambers Global 2011-2013 and IFLR1000 2010-2012. Ian has also been named Best Lawyers' 2013 Melbourne Structured Finance "Lawyer of the Year".
In the 2012 edition of IFLR100, one client noted "Ian is one of the most capable and knowledgeable lawyers I've met". Chambers Global Guide 2010 and 2009 praise Ian respectively for his "superb knowledge, responsiveness and innovative solutions", and further recognising him as the "go-to guy for domestic and investment banks".
Show moreShow less
- ANZ - as issuer of AUD1.25 billion Tier 1 convertible preference shares 3 - 2011
- ANZ - as issuer of AUD1.7 billion Tier 1 convertible preference shares 2 - 2009
- NAB - as issuer of AUD500 million Tier 1 stapled securities by private placement - 2009
- NAB - Global Medium Term Note Programme, 2005-2010
- National Capital Investments AUD and Euro Tranches, 2006
- NAB USD800 million Trust Preferred Securities, 2005
- ANZ Euro 400 million Trust Securities, 2004
- Insurance Australia Group AUD550 million Reset Exchangeable Securities, 2004-2009
- ANZ StEPS AUD1 billion, 2003
- Holden V6 engine plant securitised lease financing, 2002.
- Law Institute of Victoria
- Fellow Finsia (F Fin).
- 1989: Bachelor of Arts (Hons), Master of Arts and Bachelor of Laws (Hons), University of Melbourne
- 1989: Solicitor, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, Melbourne
- 1991 - 1993: Solicitor, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, London
- 1993 - 1998: Senior Associate, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, Melbourne
- 1998 - present: Partner, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, Melbourne.