David Friedlander is a mergers & acquisitions and securities lawyer in the Sydney office of King & Wood Mallesons.
He is consistently ranked as one of Australia's top M&A and equity capital markets lawyers. David regularly acts for both bidders and targets in takeovers and issuers and underwriters in securities offerings. He is a member of the Australian Takeovers Panel and several other key corporate law bodies.
David is integral to the firm's growth in Asia Pacific spending time working closely with our Hong Kong and China teams and is a member of the Board and International Management Committee of the firm.
David has also been named the Best Lawyers' 2013 Sydney Corporate/Governance "Lawyer of the Year'.
Show moreShow less
- Dexus/CPPIB CPA acquisition - representing the bidders on the CPA takeover
- Medibank Private - representing Medibank in the scoping study phase of its possible privatisation
- Brickworks shareholder activist response - representing Brickworks
- Nine Entertainment IPO - representing the joint lead managers
- Warburg Pincus on its 34% sell-down of TPI
- ASX rights offering - representing UBS as lead manager
- KKR - on its sell-down of Seven West Media
- Westpac - representing the bank on its 2 recent subordinated notes offerings
- Fonterra Shareholders Fund IPO - Australian offering and ASX listing
- Mighty River Power IPO - Australian offering and ASX listing
- Peet takeover bid for CIC Australia and equity raising
- Far East Orchard joint venture with Toga Holdings
- Tiger Airways joint venture with Virgin Australia
- Aurizon (QR National) - selective and on-market buy-backs
- Echo Entertainment - representing the company in response to activity by Crown
- Fairfax Media - representing the board on corporate governance and board composition
- Dulux Group - representing Alesco in its takeover defence
- Macarthur Coal - representing ArcelorMittal on its joint takeover
- Sundance Resources - representing Hanlong Mining on its proposed merger
- Aurizon (QR National) IPO - representing the issuer and its board
- Woolworths on-market and off-market share buy backs
- Equity capital raisings for IAG, AGL, Colonial, Origin, Qantas, TabCorp, Alumina, Asciano, Pacific Brands, Paladin, Macquarie Media and Boral
- Other major transactions:
- British Airways - on the merger it was exploring with Qantas (David acted for BA when it acquired 25% in 1993 and sold its stake in 2004)
- Multiplex Prime Property Fund Takeover Panel proceedings
- IAG - on its response to the QBE merger proposal
- Primary Health Care - on its successful bid for Symbion Health and capital raisings
- Palmary Enterprises bid for Consolidated Minerals
- Adelaide Managed Funds Asset Backed Yield Trust - on the Bendigo and Adelaide Bank going private transaction
- Telstra - T3 offer structure
- Initial listing of Australian Stock Exchange (ASX)
- Australian Stock Exchange/Sydney Futures Exchange merger
- NRMA demutualisation and listing (now IAG)
- 2006/2007 Macquarie/TPG-led bid for Qantas
- DUET - AMP Henderson/Alinta/United Energy restructure
- Campbells’ takeover offer for Arnott’s
- Sydney Airport privatisation.
- Australian Takeovers Panel - Member
- Member ASX Appeals Tribunal
- Law Council - Corporations Committee
- Australian Institute of Company Directors - Law Committee
- International Bar Association - panelist at annual M&A conference.
- 1986: Bachelor of Commerce and Laws degrees from the University of New South Wales
- 1987: Solicitor, Mallesons Stephen Jaques in Sydney
- 1989: Master of Laws degree from the University of Sydney
- 1990 - 1991: Attorney, Simpson Thacher & Bartlett in New York
- 1991: Admitted to New York Bar
- 1996 - present: Partner, Mallesons Stephen Jaques in Sydney
- 2001 - present: Lecturer in Takeovers and Hybrid Securities, University of Sydney
- 2005: Winner of inaugural Australasian Legal Business Deal Maker of the Year Award for Australia.