At the forefront of pension and superannuation law
With a raft of new developments sweeping the superannuation industry in Australia, our pensions and superannuation team regularly acts on industry firsts. This enables us to offer you unique insights and help you navigate the complex web of issues, regulations and risks that may arise.
As a client, you benefit from our depth of resources, international reach and ability to draw together all relevant areas of expertise, including financial services, tax, employment and more.
Our team, “highly regarded in the superannuation space” (Chambers – Investment Funds, Australia), covers all sectors of the pensions and superannuation industry. Our clients include trustees of retail, industry and corporate funds as well as sponsoring employers, custodians, investment managers, life insurance companies and advisory intermediaries.
We have particular expertise in defined benefit and public sector funds. Our team also assists clients in developing financial products for self-managed super fund (SMSF) clients – a growing industry segment.
Our pensions and superannuation expertise includes:
- Advising trustees on all aspects of fund governance
- New product development, especially novel retirement income products, including licensing, distribution, technology and intellectual property aspects
- All aspects of life insurance regulation, including capital requirements and product development
- Developing and reviewing investment management and custody agreements
- Advising on all taxation issues
- Liaising with the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (APRA), Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) and the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) – including mediation and other avenues to resolve compliance issues
- Applications to APRA and ASIC for relief from regulatory requirements
- Acting on all forms of outsourcing by superannuation trustees
- Advising on fund transfers and mergers
- Acting on disputes and regulatory investigations and enquiries.
"You get access to the best resources at King & Wood Mallesons [The team] is well known for work on the development of certain pension products that combine allocated pensions with an annuity fund."