A team that bridges the gap between tax and legal advice
We make sense of complex tax systems, enabling you to do business more easily, manage your commercial risk and save money – wherever you are in the world.
Our Australian tax lawyers integrate tax expertise with legal capability to unlock value for all our clients. Matched with a commitment to understand your business needs, the result is streamlined practical tax advice with a commercial underlay.
We have built the knowledge and resources to become the cross-border merger and acquisition (M&A) structuring experts in Australia and across Asia – offering both bespoke solutions and tried, tested and streamlined ways to efficiently facilitate your income or capital flow.
To help you move quickly and efficiently, we’ll leverage our strong relationships with Australian regulators and revenue authorities.
All of this means that, from the conception of any deal, our tax lawyers look to share their insights and work with you to co-develop the deal structure. Their input, well before the legal ‘heavy lifting’ and drafting starts, allows you to test the market before investing in the deal yourself.
Our lawyers’ tax expertise includes:
- Corporate tax
- Indirect taxation
- Transfer pricing and supply chain taxation
- Pensions and superannuation
- Employment-related tax and incentives
- Tax planning
- Private client and wealth planning
- Real estate tax
- Fund structuring
- Tax disputes.
Show moreShow less
Cross-sector tax experience
We advise clients in all sectors on tax law. Our recent work includes advising Telstra on the landmark National Broadband Network project, as well as the restructured deal, NBN Mark II. This project reshaped the telecommunications industry in Australia, with our tax team tackling the challenges of managing complex contractual risk allocations in a heavily regulated environment.
Our lawyers’ other tax experience includes advising:
- Affinity Equity Partners on all aspects the successful purchase of a 35 per cent stake in the AUS$960 million Velocity Frequent Flyer programme – a ground-breaking joint venture involving a complex trust arrangement and a requirement for the investment to be ‘financeable’ after completion.
- Chevron Australia, in a lead counsel capacity, on the first ever transfer pricing case under the new Australian rules. This landmark trial ran for 5 weeks, and is just one part of the ongoing transfer pricing support we have been providing to Chevron in relation to the funding of its Australian LNG projects.
- China Merchants and Australia’s Hastings Fund Management – the winning consortium – on the privatisation of the Port of Newcastle, the largest coal export port in the world. Our role involved drafting transaction documents with a key focus on mitigating any double duty risk, advising on the preferred acquisition structure and providing ongoing stamp duty and GST assistance post-acquisition.