The first choice for important and complex transactions
Our corporate clients value our expertise in domestic and cross-border transactions, and the integrated knowledge of our specialist lawyers. We work with some of the world’s largest companies, private equity firms and investors. We will work side by side with you on your takeover or scheme, your private equity transaction, your negotiated M&A deal, or your major commercial contract to get the deal done.
Ranked as Tier 1 by Chambers for more than a decade, we are the firm of choice for strategically important and complex transactions.
Behind this success lies an experienced team of more than 40 corporate M&A partners across Australia, many of whom have worked together for more than 20 years. They bring their diverse market experience and deep knowledge of commercial law to the senior management and boards of some of Australia’s largest and most respected companies.
As well as a comprehensive grasp of our clients’ needs and strong sector experience, we have good relationships with regulators. This gives us insight into the issues that may arise during a complex transaction. We know what to look for – and where.
Show moreShow less
Advising iconic brands
Clients benefiting from our expertise include iconic Australian brands across a range of sectors. We advise clients working in financial services; in energy and resources; and in real estate and construction. We also act for clients working in the industrials and consumer sector; telecommunications, media, entertainment, and technology; and government.
Recent experience includes acting for:
- China’s State Power Investment Corporation on its acquisition of Pacific Hydro, IFM’s renewable energy portfolio
- GE on the sale of its A$8.2 billion Australian consumer finance business to a consortium consisting of KKR, Varde and Deutsche Bank
- Transurban Queensland on its successful A$1.87 billion acquisition of the AirportLinkM7 toll road in Queensland following a competitive bid process
- Guangdong Rising Assets Management, a Chinese state owned entity, on its successful A$1.2 billion unconditional, off-market hostile takeover bid for ASX listed copper/gold miner PanAust Limited
- Queensland Investment Corporation on the acquisition of Energy Australia’s Iona Gas Plant valued at $1.78 billion
- Bindaree Beef on the sale and issue of a combined 45% stake in the company to one of China’s largest meat processors, Shandong Delisi Food Co.
- Affinity Private Equity purchase of a 35 per cent stake in the Velocity Frequent Flyer program
- Hony Capital on their A$900m investment in Santos
- Telstra on renegotiation of its $11B (NPV) Definitive Agreements with NBN Co to implement the Australian Federal Government’s policy by allowing NBN Co to use a multi technology model to expedite the fixed line NBN rollout.
"At King & Wood Mallesons, ‘advice is tailored to finding a commercial solution to any issues presented"
Read more about the challenges facing Australian directors and boards in our latest Directions Report.