Shawn is a project finance specialist focusing on large scale oil, gas, petrochemicals, renewables power and water and infrastructure projects. He has extensive experience drafting and negotiating a broad array of energy, construction and other project agreements.
He is recognised in the Chambers Global (2015 - 2017) rankings for projects & energy Middle East-wide and Iraq general business law (experts based abroad) and in The Legal 500 Europe, Middle East & Africa (EMEA) rankings for energy & infrastructure and construction (2014 - 2016), corporate and M&A (2015) and Iraq (foreign law firms) (2016).
- Abu Dhabi Water & Electricity Company and its parent, ADWEA, in the development and financing of the 1,177 MW Sweihan Solar PV Independent Power Project in Abu Dhabi
- Developer in the project financing of a 455 MW gas-fired power plant in the West Bank of Palestine
- A Chinese Bank on a CDN$352 million credit facility in relation to the development of the Nunavik nickel project in northern Quebec, Canada
- A contractor in a project to build a new city in Iraq, consisting of all housing units and related social infrastructure
- The Dow Chemical Company in the project financing of the US$20 billion Sadara Petrochemicals Plant with Saudi Aramco in Jubail
- Mandated Lead Arrangers on the US$411.1 million financing for the National Petrochemical Industrial Company’s (NatPet) project in Saudi Arabia.
- Project sponsor Egyptian-listed private equity firm Citadel Capital and project company Egyptian Refining Company (Takrir) on the US$3.7 billion financing for the redevelopment of its refinery at Mostorod, near Cairo
- Developer in the planned conversion of two existing gas-fired power generating facilities from single cycle mode to combined cycle
- A major utility in the U.A.E. on corporate commercial, government procurement, policy and regulatory matters, such as EPC, interconnection, cooperation and strategic alliance, power transmission and service agreements, asset transfer transactions, smart-grid and renewables initiatives and corporate governance
- A Middle East national oil company in relation to the renegotiation with its co-venturers of a natural gas processing concession involving the expansion and operation of four plants for the extraction of natural gas liquids, together with the associated pipeline network
- A construction manager in the development of a major oil pipeline in southern Iraq
Show moreShow less
Who’s Who Legal - Energy
- 2017 – One of only 4 ranked lawyers for UAE/Abu Dhabi
- 2016 – One of only 3 ranked lawyers for UAE/Abu Dhabi
- 2017 - “Shawn attracts widespread recognition for his project expertise … ‘a very sharp lawyer with profound experience in construction, industrial and oil and gas project contracts in the Middle East”, Projects & Energy Middle East
- 2017 - “Shawn has a strong background in Iraqi energy and infrastructure projects … Clients note that ‘he quickly grasps issues and simplifies complex matters”, Iraq
- 2016 - “He is involved in work on several regionally significant power, infrastructure, oil and gas projects”, Projects & Energy Middle East
- 2016 - “Market observers enthuse about his capability, responsiveness, acumen and personality”, Projects & Energy Middle East
- 2016 - “Shawn is a valuable source of Iraqi knowledge with particular expertise on projects and infrastructure … he is a solid lawyer who knows his stuff on Iraq"
- 2014 - 2017 - Recommended in Energy & Infrastructure
- 2014 - 2017 - Recommended in Construction
- 2016 - “Shawn is ‘highly conversant in Iraqi law’”
- 2016 - Ranked Lawyer, Iraq
- Oil and Gas Law Chapter in Business Laws of the United Arab Emirates, published by Thomson Reuters (2013)
- Oil and Gas Law Chapter in Business Laws of the United Arab Emirates, published by Thomson Reuters (2011)
- Presented on the topic of Contracting Strategies for the Middle East Petrochemicals Industry at the MEED Middle East Petrochemicals Conference in March 2013
- Presented on the topic of Mega Petrochemicals Projects in Saudi Arabia at the MEED Middle East Petrochemicals Conference in March 2012
- Moderated a panel titled Evolution and Future Potential of the IPP and IWPP Market in the Middle East Region at the MEED 15th Annual Middle East Project Finance Conference in January 2012
- Guest lecturer at Paris Sorbonne University Abu Dhabi on the topic of International Law in 2011
- Association of International Petroleum Negotiators